What can you tell about a person’s ideology based upon the books they read?
Better yet, what can you tell about an academic mind thinks by what they consume (Journals, white papers, articles, books, weblinks, etc)
My list for the last month:
- The bias against creativity: why people desire But reject creative ideas
- Promoting an emancipatory research paradigm
- Engaged pedagogy
- The Ins and Outs of public Intellectualism
- The Indaba – Guiding principles for an African Centered Education
- The MOOC Model for Digital Practice
- Student-centered course design: Empowering students to become self-directed learners
- Reasserting the philosophy of experiential education as a vehicle for Change in the 21st Century
- Balancing Act: How to Capture Knowledge without killing it
- immersive learning theory: as a design tool in creating purpose built learning environments
- The Race for Theory
- Artifacts of Knowledge and Practice in the University Teaching and Learning
- Empathy on the edge – scaling and sustaining a human centered approach in the evolving practice of design
- Bringing life to learning: Immersive Experiential learning simulations for online and blended courses
- Employee Learning Orientation, Transformational Leadership, and Employee Creativity: The mediating role of employee creative self-efficacy
- Making Leadership Happen
- What’s next after Experiential Learning? Welcome to Full Immersion
- An empirical Test of “Behavioral Immersion” in Experiential Learning
- Building Capacity for Resilience as a Leader
- A framework for empathy in design: stepping into and out of the users life
- MYTH – The communication Dimension to the African American Mind
- Intuitive Tools for Innovative Thinking
- Situated Cognition and the Culture of Learning
- Online Education: A catalyst for Higher Education Reforms
- The empathy Quotient: An Investigation of Adults with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism, and Normal Sex Differences
― Ayi Kwei Armah,
Time is my lover
It is my friend
It speeds the necessity of flow
Within the veins of all that will be..
all that is known
we once were romantic lovers
we both figured out very early
Sentimentality isn’t the strongest of bonds for us to be in
it’s not real enough for us
we both became disappointed quite easily
So we decided to yield to our natural waves
within vibrational love
In knowing that time only tells with this one life.
Times intention for me is always in lifting me up
To be greater than what I can see within the moment
it’s within that moment I’m able to lay seeds
for the future tense and only time allows me to see
for me..I respect the laws of it’s frequency
It’s the angel of stillness upon a frosted corner in the middle of a lonely night when only the sounds of nature and the spirit world are active.
it allows me to be courageous
It’s my navigation system within a jungle of oppressive systems
it allows me to be resilient
It’s the brilliant sunbeams that feed my melanin energy at the calm of every story that my ancestors have transmitted unto my DNA
it allows me to create
I allow it to love me
Is my lover
It’s my friend
It’s my twin soul experience of what was before and everything that comes after it
it’ will be my forever meantime
Time is my everything…
Tonight I am writing out my year long intentions that I will focus on throughout the year. These are areas within my life that I’m passionate about and would like to see grow:
- Ask empowering questions to God through prayer.
- Love with no fear.
- Work on myself, within my family, with my children, to spread peace and love as deeply as we can.
- Meditate profusely.
- Utilize my prophetic imagination within every endeavour.
- Share more of my gifts through the arts, social justice, and foresight.
- Redirect energy that isn’t mine.
- Focus on my lessons and not use the pain for reference anymore.
- Give deep attention in growing the act, process, and gift of critical learning wherever I go.
- Work with people who are doing similar community work, who are fearless within the cause.
Wish me the best or you can join me!
Inspired by adrienne maree brown author of “emergent strategy” and “octavia’s brood”
image credit by artxman “opulence”
Digital Pedagogy Lab fellowship question for 2017
In the length of a single tweet (280 characters), offer your definition of Critical Digital Pedagogy. Include text here, or tweet and share a link. *
Critical Digital Pedagogy is laboratory where one questions and find answers, and the place where visions of theory and praxis come together. Through liberation in thinking it allows human understanding to take place. It is the heartbeat of critical thinking- the longing of how life works within and outside the digital realm. It is freedom. – remixed from bell hooks critical thinking
Please give us a little background about yourself in the form of links to your work online or a short overview of your pedagogical interests. *
Well in short, I’m Keesa V. Johnson and I’m an avant garde thinker, culture creative, and edge designer (big smile). I’m very excited to apply for a Digital Pedagogy fellowship. It fits well with my illuminating personality. Majority of my life I’ve been managing, orchestrating, creating, designing and exploring various types of learning environments. My discipline knowledge as well as praxis is in theater immersion, media & information, serious game design/research as well as foresight. I’ve created several online graduate programs, certificates, digital badging credentials, and managed various MOOCs on Canvas, Edx, and Coursera. I’m known for my pivotal roles in co-creating Multimedia Online Learning Immersive Experiences (M.O.L.I.Es – MSU Zombie Course, MSU Combat Vets– Embracing the Stories of War, and MSU Food Futures) using immersive learning (simulations, scenarios, and role playing) pop culture, digital storytelling, digital branding, infused with“critical” pedagogical theories to build these transformative spaces. Yes, I’m what you would coin as many of us are a “new learner”. I’ve won various american advertising awards plus innovation and instructional technology awards for my collaborative works. My design philosophy is Ubuntu, which is an African thought system grounded in what it means to be truly human. It translates, “I am because you are, you are because I am.” Here to make visions come to life. Ready to be apart of something transcending. Looking forward in learning and growing from the digital pedagogy lab.
As a DPL Fellow, you may have the opportunity to present a 75-minute workshop. Please include a title and a short description for a workshop you might lead. *
Critical Learning – the emergence of passion, love, and the power of critical thinking
“Critical learning” is the essence of teaching and learning. It is the simple connections created that allows all learning to happen despite the complexity of your surroundings, space, and time. It is the capacity to determine “what is significant” which is central to the process of critical thinking (elder,2011). This immersive workshop will take the participants upon a collective journey identifying critical learning connections while building a space for emergence. Using a variety of mediums (twitter, poetry, video, music, etc) we will discuss various issues infused with popular culture contexts:
- The automation of love
- Take a knee movement with Colin Kaepernick
- Flint water crisis – The poisoning of an american city
- Puerto Rico – Still no relief
- The Death of Erica Garner
- Cultural appropriation – is it just the Kardashians?
- ABC’s The Good Doctor – Accessibility/Inclusion
- Big Data – is it good or bad for myself and community?
The end result: A divergent story that will breath life into an emergent strategy (Adrienne Maree Brown) for the participants. This is the beginning story plan of our journey as a collective throughout for 1 year of your willing participation within the digital pedagogy lab.
Hope you will join me.
Keesa V. Johnson
“A story teller does not tell of a different season” – Yoruba proverb”
The old sound of chains
No black woman’s voice for nurturing
Using a so called black boy’s mane
To allow the black woman to be forgotten.
As the “so called” liberal whore is there for the usage
labeling it “diversity”
In the war of
fucked up thinking
As the old crew of imperialism, capitalism, patriarchy, laughs, back bites, during golf or cigars
always pushing their personal agendas forward
Welcome to the “ game of orgs”
Winter is coming
it’s about who gets what when, and how from
accessibility, diversity and inclusion are root words for keep it going…standardization
within bastardized personal learning language
algorithms of homo sapien futurizing
that same ole shit
instead of New World, New Sound, New Thought, New Definitions that’s that “creative science” shit that’s embedded in African Thought Systems
leadership masquerading as management
buzz world ritual management until it chokes
all the impactful creating from
learners as individuals
This is the “enlightenment” era of Ed technology
So everyone’s a casualty
Without the money, power, and title…really?
In this age, in this stage of the original man thinking…
Yet entrepreneurship is the new mindset for learners
creativity as passive language
This system doesn’t want that shit!!!!
Let’s be realistic
augmenting the new workers
rejecting their own humanity
for a quick fix of the latest technology
mass producing non critical thinkers
to make it happen within the same old pipeline
delivered personally under innovation and obedience
SHHHHH…don’t make no waves
SHHHHH…just do what’s required
be apart of the “buzz world” of non producing
only paper documents are required and a checklist if it was done or not
SHHHHH ignore the code of genius inside of you.
You’ll keep your job.
The broken clock of toxic work environments
- Translation of Yoruba proverb – ”“A storyteller does not tell of a different season” – The past is not seen as fundamentally different from the present. All history is contemporary in a way. “A story teller does not tell of a different season” – Yoruba proverb”
- African Philosophy and thought systems
- Image: by blue rose “broken clock work”: https://bluestrose.deviantart.com/art/Broken-Clock-Work-474872173
- 19 sign your work environment is toxic: https://www.bustle.com/articles/170826-19-signs-your-work-environment-is-toxic-affecting-you-negatively